The (M1 and M2) project phase is dedicated to further research linked to students' artistic disciplines. During these two years, joint cross disciplinary teaching is given in art history and theory, project writing and theory, and artistic projects. In parallel, at the start of M1, students register with a research director and a dissertation director who will support them throughout their course over 4 terms, year M2 being devoted to preparing for the DNSEP and the dissertation.
Training structure and organization of teaching
Year 4 : M1
(hour level/382 hours per term )
(Time allocation/430 hours per term)
Year 5 : M2
(time allocation/428 hours per term)
(time allocation/416 hours per term)
Students must obtain 270 credits for the 1st and 2nd courses combined, in order to enter for the D.N.S.E.P.
The D.N.S.E.P. examination takes place at the end of the last term (T10) and is in two parts:
The D.N.S.E.P. panel is made up of five members:
- two representatives from the school chosen from among the lecturers, one of whom sits on the thesis defence panel.
- three qualified individuals selected from within the relevant discipline.
The dissertation panel comprises:
- one of the three qualified individuals, an artist or theoretician,
- one of the representative lecturers from the school.
In the event a student fails the D.N.S.E.P., the dissertation assessment, providing it is favourable, and the credits attached, remain as agreed.
Candidates may not enter for the D.N.S.E.P. more than twice.
Any student failing the D.N.S.E.P. twice may be eligible to be granted Validation of knowledge Acquired through Experience (V AE) after having gained professional experience over a period of a minimum of 3 years.
Assessment and standardization committee
Student assessment takes place at the end of each term, at which point students are awarded credits required for continuation to the following year.
Between 48 and 60 credits must be obtained to continue to year M2.
If fewer than 60 credits are obtained, the missing credits must be made up in courses in the 1st term of year M2 according to the methods specified by the lecturers of the courses concerned.
A standardization committee made up of a quorum representing all the M1 and M2 lecturers meets at the end of each term.
The role of the committee is:
- to standardize and approve the credits obtained by consulting those lecturers who have followed the students at different stages of their course,
- to validate the continuation to M2,
- to decide whether the diploma is to be awarded (in the presence of DNSEP tutors),
- to determine if a year can be repeated based on special grounds,
- to reach a decision on exclusion for a serious error, breach of internal rules (see internal rules in the student guide), repeated and unjustified absenteeism, or withdrawal during the course.
After the standardization committee meeting, the summary of marks and comments will be posted to each student within 3 weeks.