It concerns the potential students wishing to study full-time in L1 (first year).
The entrance exam and an equivalence commission for mid curriculum acceptance at The Nantes School of Art is open to overseas students with a very good command of French (B2 minimum). Applicants’ experience of France (e.g. language study holiday) would be appreciated by the jury.
A valid email address is required to receive the notification.
At the time of registration, several mandatory documents au format PDF will be requested to confirm your registration :
- an artistic portfolio ;
- a statement of intent ;
for overseas candidates, a certificate stating that you have taken the TCF (French Competency Test) level B2.
Registration is open.
Wednesday, January 4th > March 15th 2017 include
list of short-listed candidates will be available on the school website
April 25th 2017, April 26th 2017, May 3th 2017, May 4th 2017
the competitive entrance examination. The examination will take place on one day (depends on the notification)
The competitive entrance examination for the Nantes Metropole School of Fine Arts (École Supérieure des Beaux-Arts de Nantes Métropole) comprises two stages: an in-depth examination of artistic portfolios and an interview of candidates with teaching artists and theoreticians.
The competitive admission examination is open to all french or overseas candidates holding a baccalauréat or equivalent secondary-school diploma.
On an exceptional basis, a special dispensation may be granted for candidates who have not passed the baccalauréat. Overseas candidates are asked to provide a french translation of their diploma (secondary school diploma or equivalent). A good knowledge of the French language is required.
Minimum age (as of 1 January of the year of the entrance examination): 16
Maximum age (as of 1 January of the year of the entrance examination): 30
an artistic portfolio comprising 10 paper documents and a memorandum of intent concerning your work;
- a statement of intent describing your motivation for artistic training and for your choice of school and of The Nantes School of Art in particular. Also, this statement of intent shall describe your educational background and your extra curricula interests and achievements and your artistic approach;
- for overseas candidates, a certificate stating that you have taken the TCF (French Competency Test) level B2.
t. +33 2 40 35 90 37
m. : nathalie.fraval[at]esba-nantes.fr
Sequence of Examination Process
The registration request must be filled in exclusively online at the Nantes school of art website (a valid e-mail address is necessary to receive an acknowledgement of receipt).
Candidates short-listed on the basis of their portfolio will be notified :
The list of short-listed candidates will be available on the website with the topic of the plastic arts exam to be prepared for the interview with the jury.
Short-listed candidates will be notified of the interview by email.
Written language examination (30 min.): a series of questions in a language of the candidate’s choice (English, Italian, German or Spanish).
Written general knowledge examination (1:15) . Candidates choose between three subjects. The purpose is to evaluate the skills of observation and reflection in front of a work.
Selection interview (30 min.):
- Assessment of general culture based on an analysis of works and an ability to express sensitivity and a manner of seeing (10 min.)
- Assessment of visual arts potential based on an oral presentation the artistic topic prepared in advance (10 min.)
- Commentary on the candidate’s personal artistic portfolio (10 min.)
The jury will include a general culture teacher and two teaching artists.
The results will be available on this website.
Students enrolled in post-secondary studies at the school have student status.
As such, they are eligible for:
• Student social security (affiliation required for non-employed students between the ages of 18 and 28)
• Mutual health insurance scheme for students: SMEBA or the Mutuelle des Etudiants
• Study grants awarded by the CROUS and, for studies abroad, grants from the City of Nantes, the Loire Valley Region, the Franco-German Youth Office and the European Union
• CROUS student benefits (accommodation in university halls of residence, university restaurants, university health and social services, and athletic facilities).